People Management Essentials
14/08/2015 08:30 to 14/08/2015 16:30
Cape Town Chamber of Commerce
Cape Town, South Africa
This programme will equip new and experienced managers with knowledge and skills to confidently and competently manage others effectively for high performance and productivity.
When you’ve completed this training, you should:
- Understand your role as a manager of people and what effective HR looks like
- Know the basics of good recruitment, staff development and management
- Deal confidently with difficult situations involving people and apply HR good practice to everyday situations
- Manage change comfortably
- Have an appreciation for labour law and manage risk
- People Management competencies
- A toolkit to equip you with the competence and confidence to get the best out of your teams.
- Understand what effective people management entails, the skills needed, and tools and resources available to you.
- Employing the right people
- Recruitment processes, policy, practice and tools to get the best people for the job, equity, forms of contract, fair employment practice, legal pitfalls.
- Ensuring high engagement with targeted training and development
- Training discussions, identifying needs, writing motivations, creating learning plans, budgeting, resources, measuring results, skills development act.
- Keeping people on track by setting SMART goals
- What stretch goals/objectives can be used for, writing measurable and achievable goals, setting goals for staff with low motivation.
- Ensuring high performance through appraisals and feedback
- Setting clear standards, measuring progress, giving difficult feedback, managing poor performance, when/how to dismiss non-performing staff, the CCMA and Labour Court.
- How to have difficult discussions of every nature
- Confidently give feedback on career development, training, salary, performance, and behaviour, plus when to address personal and cultural issues … and when not to.
- Dealing with misconduct
- Examples of misconduct, addressing issues, disciplinary process, the pitfalls, maintaining team motivation, when/how to dismiss impossible staff, the CCMA and Labour Court.
- Risk management from a legal perspective
- Employee and employer rights, equity, BBBEE, unfair labour practice, contract terminations, dismissing safely to prevent CCMA awards, labour legislation changes and more.
- HR business skills
- Gain a suite of skills to help you get approval on staffing proposals, manage change, use HR information for decision-making, manage hr records efficiently.